[ale] Fwd: [ma-linux] Be Afraid; Be Very Afraid

mark marklame at emetastar.com
Tue Oct 14 13:23:05 EDT 2003

I just recieved this from my Linux Group in Northern Virginia.  The link to
the article details electronic voting in Fulton County, GA.  FYI!!  Can
anybody confirm these problems, etc?

Subject: [ma-linux] Be Afraid; Be Very Afraid
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 10:39:18 -0400
From: alan at patriot.net
To: ma-linux at tux.org

Dear Colleagues,

I very much hope that you all will take five minutes or so to
read the article in the URL below, even if it is from an English
newspaper which is, by US standards, rather to the left.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/story.jsp?story=452972

I am more afraid of the threat here, even if only a bit true, that I
am of WMDs hitting the D.C. area.

I have written to Prof Mercuri, mentioned in the article, the following:
"My vision: just as we are greeted by Dem and Repub judges as we approach
the table in our local polling places, so should the hardware and software
used for voting be Open Source, available to Dem and Repub hard- and
software experts -- and to the interested public as well."

I break here a vow, made a while back, that I would no longer bug my
friends and colleagues here with further beggings to join   linux-pe ;
but the above URL(which states only what is already "well-known" among
people who follow this issue) has made me change my mind.

I know of no other site dedicated to activism about getting Linux(aka
Open Source, aka FLOSS, aka GNU/Linux -- whatever ya wanna call it<g>)
into governments, than linux-pe.  I hope that those of you who have
brushed my 27 or 38 or 53 previous appeals aside will reconsider.

follow the bouncing ball<g>.

Best wishes,

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://patriot.net/users/alan
    When will Colin Powell apologize to us for deceiving us?