[ale] Dialup Connection timer?

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Oct 10 13:12:09 EDT 2003

On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 12:02:05PM -0400, griffisb at bellsouth.net wrote:
> Hey all,
>

>    I working on setting up a dial-up account on my sister's laptop. Not
> sure about unlimited connect time versus a set number of minutes per month.
> Unlimited sounds like the best choice, but since I'd be fronting for it and
> my wallet is getting thinner - I was thinking about a timed account.

Let me throw out another alternative: www.access4free.com. I use it for my
backup connection. My sister and my cousins use it for primary dialup. Works
fine with Linux. Lots of POPs so it works out of town. So I feel comfortable
recommending it.

It has a sliding scale with a max price of $10 for unlimited access per month.
The sliding scale is as follows:

Hours   Price
0-10    $0
11-19   $Hours-10 i.e. $1 an hour for each hour over 10
20+     $10       i.e. unlimited after 20 hours.

I like it because it doesn't hurt my wallet at all when I don't use it but
is available when I need it. My family likes the $10/month max price.

BAJ