[ale] OT: I AM paranoid!

runman at speedfactory.net runman at speedfactory.net
Fri Oct 10 13:09:24 EDT 2003

I have worked for First Data and now for another company of the same ilk
- both financial services companies that deal with card transactions and
you are entirely correct to a great degree.  Who you have that handles
the atm transactions  also determines costs - and everyone has a finger
in the pie.  From card readers (and their programming), fraud insurance
for the merchant and paying bank and receiving banks, receivables,
network fees, etc etc... it is a complex web.  Visa is an association of
banks (one of many assiciations) and it takes a cut on every
transaction, as well as others.  Walmart wants no one to take anything
from them and thus one of the many reasons for the lawsuit.

CC say theirs is more secure because no one will see your pin, but your
pin is useless without the card.  I think those cards on a keychain are
the most stupid ideas ever - they have no photo protection and seem way
to easy to lose.

Greg