[ale] OT: I AM paranoid!...Debit Card Fraud

Ernie ks4q at zingleman.com
Thu Oct 9 22:37:46 EDT 2003

Debit Card Fraud
I had this happen to me on Christmas eve this past year.  Just under $2600
got drained from my checking account.  All of the activity took place in or
around Orange county, CA.  None of the transactions were on the internet but
appeared to be in person.  They even bought a bed and mattress along with
some high fashio items at Louis Vuiton.  All in all, there were 5 separate
stores that were visited.

I promptly reported it to Bank of America who to their credit returned the
money to my account within 24 hours.  This was temporary pending the
completion of their investigation.  They sent me a legal document which I
signed which said that I had not purchased the items.  I never contacted law
enforcement directly.

I never lost my card..my best guess is that someone stole it from the
records at the GA toll authority.  Now, I ONLY use the debit card in grocery
stores, gas stations and other places where I am always in control and
possession of the card.  The clerks at the grocery store never see the
number...all they see is that it was approved.

Ernie