[ale] MySql scare tactics?

John Wells jb at devsea.com
Wed Oct 8 23:43:47 EDT 2003

Here's an interesting reply from MySql.com sales.  I frankly don't see how
using it on multiple internal servers constitutes a violation of the GPL.
Anyone?

Hi Jb,

Thank you for your interest in MySQL.  My answers below.

Internal distribution applies to internally distributing/installing more
than one application.  If you plan to use one installation of MySQL it
would not be considered distribution and you could use if for free with
your "internally built application."

> How would this
>     be in violation of the GPL?

If your application (internal or external) is licensed under the terms
of the GPL, you are allowed to distribute MySQL, also under the GPL, for
free.

What do you mean, exactly,
> by internal
>     distribution?
>
>     Also, if we write an application that expects MySql (like
> a web app),
>     but we don't package the database with the application
> and tell the
>     customer that they must download and install it, is this
> violation of
>     the GPL?

Again, if your application is licensed under the terms of the GPL you
can use MySQL for free.  If your application is not licensed under the
terms of the GPL, commercial non-GPL licenses are necessary.  You will
need to purchase licenses under this scenario (unless you go GPL),
please review our licensing examples,
http://www.mysql.com/products/licensing-examples.html.

How are you planning to use MySQL?

Mr. Matt Fredrickson,
Sales Executive
MySQL, Inc. - www.mysql.com
Office: +1 425 390 0154
Fax: +1 425 663 2001

MySQL Featured in the Wall Street Journal:
http://webreprints.djreprints.com/785490482991.html