[ale] Lightweight Window Manager Issues <-non-profits & Win95

aaron aaron at pd.org
Sun Oct 5 13:54:35 EDT 2003

On Sunday 05 October 2003 10:32, Frank Zamenski wrote:
> ..snip..
> > something else ?  I think that FreeBytes helps non-profits in GA by
> > providing PC's.  Yes, they put Windows 95 on them, but you can always
> > just ask for the box.  Unfortunately, much of the software nowadays
>
> Slightly OT: if a PC is donated to a non-profit, can Win95 be installed
> en masse on donation PCs without getting some sort of a license from
> Msft? Or does the non-profit have to get some kind of waiver,
> or 'special permit', from Bill and Gang to do so?

My understanding after working a bit with Free Bytes is that to spread the
windblows '95 virus to second level victims without also delivering the
threat of M$-B$A prosecution they must use donated licenses -- either by one
to one transfer from a donated system with a ("legit") windblows'95 install
or from donated, sealed retail boxes or site packages of the OS.

The Micro$haft End User licensing for all subsequent winblows releases
specifically prohibits any form of transfer of installed M$ OS and software
infections or the associated licenses. Any system or hard drive installed
with post-'95 winblows must be thoroughly erased before transferring hardware
ownership or all of the M$ victims involved will be in violation of the
original license and subject to prosecution. The only way anyone can get a
"legitimate" second hand, post-'95 version of windblows is by receiving a
donation of a sealed, un-installed license pack or retail box from a third
party that has already paid M$ for the original license but never used it. I
have not seen any situation where the convicted criminal monopolists of Black
Billy and Co. have made license exceptions for non profit organizations such
as Free Bytes, as doing so would diminish their monopoly control and undercut
the inter-dependent forced migration schemes.

Clearly, for any individual or organization involved in reselling or recycling
computing hardware and systems (non profit or otherwise), removing all viral
M$ products and installing Open Source GPL distributions for the OS and basic
software is the only rational choice. Perpetuating any kind of M$ infections
on used or recycled systems simply leaves everyone involved vulnerable to
monopolist harassment, threats and lawsuits, in addition to subjecting yet
another level of victims to disfunctional, infection prone, Micro$hafted
computers. Given the options and flexibility of today's free GPL software and
OS offerings, there is absolutely no excuse for leaving or putting M$
products on a used computer.

peace
aaron