[ale] [WAY OT]Reverse Engineering MS Visual Basic Applications

ChangingLINKS.com groups at ChangingLINKS.com
Thu Oct 2 15:43:28 EDT 2003

> Drew, until you can actually write useful code yourself, I suggest that
> you lay off on insulting most of the rest of this group.  You're not smart
> enough to take us on.
> --George

I write code now.

I accept your programming/intellect challenge. You are a professional
programmer who I think is "good" so you should have some advantages.
Moreover, I will give you added support by giving you 2 additional
programmers. The challenge will be to write a program that is responsible for
generating enough PROFIT for the winning contest(s) to live on.

The challenge is inline with this thread and the H-1B argument.
My position is that temployee/contract programmers often lack the vision,
creativity and intelligence to use their programming skill to support
themselves independently of some other man's company.
Moreover, these programmers often envy their bosses and expect to be hired for
premium dollars instead of writing a program that is useful enough to support
it's authors. George (et al)'s position is that programming requires
creativity, intelligence and implies that the programmers are smart enough to
write a program that will help it's authors be financially self-sufficient.

I believe this challenge will prove which position is correct AND benefit the
economy by creating jobs for programmers in the US.

The Program:
1. must be designed by the contestants.
2. must be funded with personal money and time.
3. must generate a profit
4. must be owned by the contests (and not sold or licensed).
5. must create financial freedom for the winning contestant(s).
6. must not violate any federal or state laws.
7. must directly benefit those who work in IT.

Contestants are limited to:
George Carless, Jason Day, and "F. Grant whoever"
					VS.
Drew Brown (with a some help from some $10/hr programmers).

Due date: Tax time 2004 - let's say April 15th
(which probably means you need to make your profit this year).

To win the challenge:
Each contestant will simply demonstrate (with supporting affidavits and/or tax
returns) how much profit the program generated. It can be as simple as a web
site or as complex as an OO client program that works on clustered computers.

The winning contestant must also demonstrate that his primary source of income
results from the program written. Of course, such a program would be quite
valuable, therefore intellectual property need not be reveiled.

The program that generates the most profit wins the contest for it's
author(s). The winner receives $500 and an affidavit from the each losing
contestant that states that the winning contestant/s is/are indeed smarter.

"That there" outlines the challenge George. Do you accept or deny?
Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com