[ale] OT - Bellsouth DSL and a Wireless Linksys Router

griffisb at bellsouth.net griffisb at bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 2 14:28:26 EDT 2003

> From: Bill West <westwd30087 at yahoo.com>
> Date: 2003/10/02 Thu PM 02:10:32 EDT
> To: ale at ale.org
> Subject: [ale] OT - Bellsouth DSL and a Wireless Linksys Router
>
> Sorry for the off topic query but with all of the
> previous discussions about Bellsouth DSL, someone
> might be able to help.
>
> I have a colleague in Nashville on BellSouth.net. He
> doesn't have the home networking option, but he wants
> to connect via a Linksys DSL so he can share the
> connection with his wife.  They are both running XP,
> he because it is his work laptop and hers is XP
> because his is.  He wants to use wireless because his
> ofice is in an out building. Apparently with BS, the
> signin includes telephone number, userid and password.
>  I can't get the PPPoe option on the Linksys to work
> because I can't figure how to get the telephone number
> in.  Any suggestions?
> I thought about sharing the connection thru her
> computer but He has to connect to the company network
> through a VPN.
>
> TIA
> Bill

Bill, it sounds as if your colleague is using BellSouth DSL with a USB modem. Did his initial setup include a SpeedStream DSL modem with USB connection? My original DSL connection used the Speedstream modem and connected via USB to my desktop. I had to put in userid, password and phone number to get the SpeedStream to connect.

My new connection uses a Westell DSL modem with an Ethernet connection. The Westell actually works as a router and acts as a DHCP server and NAT server. Anyway - with the Westell I connect from it's Ethernet port to the Ethernet port on my Linksys router.

I was able to get multiple PC's running without bothering with the Linksys at all. For a while I simply ran from the Ethernet port on my Westell to an Ethernet hub. This allowed me to share the connection.

And that is way too many words to ask what your friend's connection to BellSouth uses.