[ale] [WAY OT]Reverse Engineering MS Visual Basic Applications

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Thu Oct 2 12:23:44 EDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 11:33:53AM -0400, Brian J. Dowd wrote:
> I think that writing the first "4K Basic interpreter" which ran on the
> Intel 8086 chip back in 1975 (Altair microcomputer
> loaded via paper tape from an ASR-33 Teletype) qualifies as being both
> visionary and "very creative".

I think using the word "writing" for what Gates and Allen did back in
1975 is in itself a little creative, considering that they *ported* a
public-domain Basic interpreter to the x86 platform, using stolen time
on a college computer system.

> Don't get personal with your antipathy for Bill Gates ... just keep
> working to make Linux the world's standard OS.

I won't speak for Geoffrey, but Drew made it personal to me when he
said there was little difference between programmers and burger
flippers.  After he reeled me in with that one, he threw out the most
obvious troll I have ever seen.  Geoffrey called him on it, and I assume
Drew has yet to respond.

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9