[ale] Copying configurations from Knoppix

Grady Harris gharri2 at emory.edu
Thu Oct 2 07:37:27 EDT 2003

A question from a perpetual beginner: I've gotten Gentoo up & running on one
machine, after a couple of long attempts, but I've gotten a few small things
wrong along the way, such as connecting to the internet (DSL coming through
a Linksys router) and X.

I'll figure it out, sooner or later, & do it properly, but it would be nice
to have a reasonably accurate & specific model to work from, rather than
examples from documentation that try to illustrate a range of possibilities,
but leave me uncertain which parts are universal (it _must_ be like this) &
which parts are exempli gratia (it _could_ be like this).

I have a Knoppix CD, & wonder if I could copy configurations from that to a
floppy, and use those to replace, or serve as a model for, the corresponding
conf files on the Gentoo installation. Has anyone here tried this?

Grady Harris