[ale] Career decision

Bjorn Dittmer-Roche dittmeb at mail.rockefeller.edu
Wed Oct 1 09:22:10 EDT 2003

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Willie Leave wrote:

> As luck would have it, I've been offered a Director of
> Software Development position at a company in
> Greensboro, NC.  The group I'd manage initially is
> small (5-6 programmers) but could grow.  They're using
> some closed-source cruft now but the VP is interested
> in going open source, and he's an ex-manager of mine,
> hence my offer.

Congrats! Personally, I have nothing against closed source, but I
certainly understand if it makes you feel bad to develop that way.

> The money is ok, the relocation won't even begin to
> cover the cost of moving and paying the !$*#$ realtors
> (man...do those guys bleed you), the time for selling
> our current house is not good (typically, Nov - Feb ==
> worse time to sell a house).  Lots of negatives.

Actualy, housing prices are inflated right now, according to the
Economist. That would make now a good time to sell, of course it is more
complicated than that, but as long as intrest rates are low, you should be
okay even in Nov-Feb. If you do decide to sell, email me off list -- I
know a great realtor.

	bjorn