[ale] acpi/apm/hibernate/suspend/et al

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed May 28 23:19:35 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 22:53, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> Actually that seems a bit confusing.  Hibernate will store a memory image on
> your disk and then poweroff.  Suspend will drop to minimal power and wait
> there until the battery dies. ;)

Are you sure? I was pretty positive that hibernate is a deep sleep mode,
but not off while suspend to disk will allow the system to be flat
powered off.

At least that's what it seems like on my laptop. If it sits too long it
will start to snooze, then snore, then hibernate, then it writes to disk
and shuts off.

It may be an IBM thing, too. My other laptop (Prostar pentium 90) had no
power saving features that I ever saw.