[ale] acpi/apm/hibernate/suspend/et al

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed May 28 22:15:03 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 21:40, Christopher Bergeron wrote:
> Can anyone shed any light on the conundrum that is hibernation/suspend
> to disk under linux?  My goal is to put my desktop machine into a sleep
> state such that I don't have to wait for the full boot process.  I've
> been reading up on swsusp, and I'm running kernel 2.5.67 (with
> suspend-to-disk [or is it hibernate]) built in.
>
> My questions are numerous - but specifically, should I use APM or ACPI
> for hibernat/suspend-to-disk?  Does it matter?  Is there a difference
> between suspend-to-disk and hibernate?  Does anyone on the list have a
> decent understanding of this and if so, could you shed a little light on
> the subject for us/me?

Suspend to disk writes a copy of RAM to a temp file then shuts down the
box with a bit set (somewhere, I don't know this part) that tells the
box on reboot to NOT do it's usual boot, but go to the hard drive sector
XYZ and copy to RAM.

Hibernate is a very low power mode. The system is still running, but the
hard drives are stopped, the RAM refresh rate is as low as it can go,
the clock speed on the CPU is dropped from the MHz/GHz range down to the
low KHz, and the monitor is put to sleep in a power of mode.

I don't any good suggestions on how to make it work. I use IBM Thinkpads
and they have a suspend to disk button. It works under Linux just fine.
I even accidentally hit it during boot up. When I resumed it, it
finished booting just fine. Cool stuff.