[ale] OT: laptops on a network, security

Bruce Griffis griffisb at bellsouth.net
Wed May 28 21:48:16 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 28 May 2003 09:48 pm, J.M. Taylor wrote:
> Hypothetical situation: you are a fair-to-middlin' sized university, and
> people (students, faculty, staff, spouses, riff-raff) want to bring their
> laptops in and plug in to your network.  Your draconian laws prohibit this
> but it's becoming increasingly obvious that people are doing it anyway,
> and you can't hide from the issue forever.
>
> What do you do?  Could something like RADIUS be used to authenticate
> mobile users and only grant those with valid accounts an IP address?  What
> about people who just assign themselves an IP? How does one stop that?

Hmmmmm - I would set up a Kiosk area with desk space and a switch, and
firewall it. I would also shut down all inactive switch ports on the inside
network to disallow people from plugging in, grabbing an assigned IP address,
firing up etherreal or whatever and having fun.

Open (firewalled) areas in a school could be a firewalled section in the
library, and maybe in an area students might get together to play LAN games.
I might also consider firewalling a wireless segment for kicks and grins.