[ale] acpi/apm/hibernate/suspend/et al

Christopher Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Wed May 28 21:40:54 EDT 2003

Can anyone shed any light on the conundrum that is hibernation/suspend
to disk under linux?  My goal is to put my desktop machine into a sleep
state such that I don't have to wait for the full boot process.  I've
been reading up on swsusp, and I'm running kernel 2.5.67 (with
suspend-to-disk [or is it hibernate]) built in.

My questions are numerous - but specifically, should I use APM or ACPI
for hibernat/suspend-to-disk?  Does it matter?  Is there a difference
between suspend-to-disk and hibernate?  Does anyone on the list have a
decent understanding of this and if so, could you shed a little light on
the subject for us/me?

I've read the [outdated and scope limited] howto's, but I've found
myself more confused than when I began...!

Does anyone have a current resource or any personal insight that can
help provide a basica summary/overview of how I can do this (or the
underlying technologies therein)?

Best regards (and much thanks!)
-CB