[ale] video card recommendation

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon May 26 18:33:58 EDT 2003

ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> ATI has a bad reputation when it comes to
>
>> drivers though.... Yours, Emil P. Man
>

> Yes. 1. I saw that one of their drivers was proprietary. 2. I saw
> that many people seem to have problems with the Raedion 7000 on the
> dri website suggested yesterday. 3. I am trying to avoid ATI and
> Nvidia altogether.

I've not done the video card research lately, but matrox 3d cards were
pretty well supported by Xfree.  Your best bet is to go to the xfree
website and check out the supported cards section.

> Doesn't anyone have a video card that works right after installation
> without configuration?

My ati radeon card worked fine after install.  It's an older card
though.  I've had a number of video cards work fine after installs under
various distributions.  Thing is, the bleeding edge cards will cause you
more heartache,  Do the research first.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...