[ale] [OT] DIMMS

Joseph Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Fri May 23 21:18:01 EDT 2003

Hi folks,

I recently bought a Gigabyte 6VTXE motherboard, which is advertised to
support a total of 1.5GB RAM across its three DIMM slots. Neither the
vendor's website <URL: http://www.insightcomponents.com> nor the
manufacturer's documentation mention any restrictions on the kind of
DIMMs that must be used; they don't, for example, say that it requires
ECC or registered memory. I bought three unregistered high-density
512MB PC133 SDRAM DIMMS, but the machine refuses to recognize them.  I
have another box here, a 1.8Ghz Celeron with an Acer mobo, which
recognizes them just fine, so I know the DIMMs themselves are OK.

I assume I have bought the wrong kind of RAM for the Gigabyte mobo,
but I don't know what kind I actually need. Does anyone here
happen to know?

Thanks,

-- Joe