[ale] OT: SMTP/POP3 Password Encryption

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu May 22 07:23:34 EDT 2003

Transam wrote:

> Neither SMTP nor POP3 (nor IMAP for that matter) are encrypted.  Both
> the password (POP3 & IMAP) and all text is sent in the clear.  May I
> introduce you to the world of encrypting your email before transmission?

Does anyone know if there is way to set up encrypted passwords for any
mail access?  I guess you'd have to work with your isp to do some kind
of ssh tunnel or something???

It seems I find that many a Linux newcomer will set their pop3 and root
passwords to the same thing, for convenience... :(

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...