[ale] rootkit strike

attriel attriel at d20boards.net
Wed May 21 15:54:02 EDT 2003

> I appreciated it.
> I wasn't paying attention to this thread until the praise. I picked up
> the  information and saved it after seeing that it was something I would
> need. Arguments could be made to "pay attention" and yadda yadd yadda .
> . ..

Well, the list is (?) archived, so you can always look it up in the
archives, or in your deleted mail folder if you have one (I purge mine
every time it crosses 1000 messages.  Which is usually JUST before I
realize I deleted something I shouldn't've :o)

> Is the use of bandwidth on this list excessive?
> (How did adding an extra 10K of reply really damage/harm anyone?)

Well, partially it's a holdover from usenet and fidonet and the like, when
we were all downloading everything at 2400 baud and loving the speed, and
not wanting to waste precious minutes downloading the same message twice,
or the same sig more than once, etc.

At this point, the major rationale would be along the lines of "well,
there's been 6 responses to this post already, so that'd be 60K of wholly
unnecessary quotage."  Trimming is a polite courtesy.  No, very few people
are going to suggest you'll burn in the fires of hell or anything if you
don't do it, but it's still polite :o

--attriel

(along with "only put your sig in your first response to a thread" and
"always say more than you quote" and "your sig should be separated from
your text by '-- ' on a line by itself" :)