[ale] Opera 7.11 Linux Final is Out

Robert Coggins ale at cogginsnet.com
Wed May 21 14:57:40 EDT 2003

OK...

I think this is on topic....

I know how to code somewhat.  I am not a professional coder but this is the
way I see it.  The computer programming world is not black and white when
even working with 1s and 0s especially on a higher level.  I feel there are
some things that need to stay closed code.  A majority of code should be
open in my view point.  Personally I think browsers should be open source.
However we live in a world where we have the choice of opening our code or
keeping it closed.  I feel this decision is the perogitive of the
coder/owner.  As for not allowing close coded programs on linux I feel is a
bad idea for another reason.  What if MS said any program written for
Windows has to be open or even closed.  If they did not allow open source
then I couldn't bear using windows in situations I HAVE to use windows. For
example, I use XChat Dia Open Office and other programs on Windows.

To me...  Bottom line.  We are living in a world where we have the CHOICE to
keep our code open/closed even if it may seem like some are catching a free
ride via a particular OS, Linux.