[ale] APC UPS at Sams :P (1100VA for $118)

Christopher Ness mness215 at attbi.com
Wed May 21 07:19:04 EDT 2003

On Monday 19 May 2003 06:22 pm, Dow Hurst wrote:
> The APC SmartUPS has a "smartslot" or two depending on the size of the
> UPS.  You can add a module for measurement of stuff like a
> temperature/humidity sensor, plus there are contacts that will sense a
> circuit being closed or open.

Another result of the Microsofting of America. Microsoft thinks everyone's
needs for a computer are the same and fall into a very few categories -
Office (word processing/spreadsheet/database/presentation), graphics, games
or A/V.  25 years ago the Apple ][ was better at dealing with state
monitoring and controls. Now for device monitoring we've got X-10 and UPS'es
and that's it?

*ix-es are not noted for being realtime machines (with the exception of the
Masscomp Real-Time Unix some years ago), but if timing isn't too critical,
Linux ought to be able to read and write to a multiport card quite easily. If
you only can find one in a reasonably human price range. An Accelport board
is $1300 to watch/latch two bytes - 16 i/o ports! There's got to be something
better/cheaper.

--
Chris Ness
mailto:cness at earthlink.net               All jobs are equally easy to