[ale] OT: SMTP/POP3 Password Encryption

Andrew Newton anewton at ecotroph.net
Tue May 20 18:12:26 EDT 2003

hbbs at attbi.com wrote:
> Evolution has a "Check for supported [authentication] types" button for both
> transmit and receive.  The one for SMTP is reporting only "NT Login" and the one
> for POP3 is reporting only "Password".
>
> If I interpret this correctly, SMTP is at least being hashed somehow but POP3 is
> not.  Would you agree?

I don't know.  Keep in mind that this is a protocol negotiation thing,
where the server sometimes list a number of different authentication
methods (or vice versa, I'm no expert in this).

So the method used for one client/server pair may be different than the
one used in another pair.  So unless your client gives you strict
control over plain vs. login vs. cram-md5, which most do not, your best
way of knowing is to monitor the session with a sniffer.

Personally, I always use TLS.  That way I don't have to care and my
session is encrypted as well.

-andy