[ale] APC UPS at Sams :P (1100VA for $118)

Courtney Thomas ccthomas at flash.net
Mon May 19 16:31:12 EDT 2003

Is there any way to rig a SmartUPS to act as fire alarm ?

What is required and who has it ?

Thank you.

Dow Hurst wrote:

> BackUPS will not adjust the power to keep the voltage constant.  BackUPS
> Pro are supposed to.  SmartUPS are able to adjust the power during
> brownouts and overvoltages and you can decide the level of sensitivity.
> Once the voltage drops to a certain point or rises to a certain point
> all the models will switch to battery.  SmartUPS have more add on
> options available such as humidity and temperature sensors, X-10 like
> switching capability for third party devices like a camera, and adding
> additional batteries.  I like the large models of SmartUPS that have
> internal fans.  I also like Tripplite brand since they are a bit cheaper
> for the same capacity.
> Dow
>

> Mike Panetta wrote:
>
>> AFAIK the major difference is in how "smart" the unit is.  I believe
>> the Smart UPS series have serial communication capability, in addition
>> to the "dumb" standard relay outputs the BackUPS have (IE contact
>> closures for power good/power out, and for battery depleated).  The
>> SmartUPS definately have more blinky lights on the front then the
>> BackUPS do (5 I believe on the BackUPS, VS something like 5 load
>> lights, 5 battery status lights and 3 line status lights on the
>> SmartUPS I have at home).
>>
>> Then again, I have heard the only real difference is the cable that it
>> ships with...  *shrug* I donno...
>>
>> Mike

dated 12/21/02,

".....we have a president purchased by corporations in a sham election
who has put those corporations in charge of their own regulation. A
string of corporate scandals has exposed the myth of shareholder
control....."

Mark Spohr	Tahoe City, Ca. [1/18/03]