[ale] NIC full-duplex settings

attriel attriel at d20boards.net
Mon May 19 09:53:19 EDT 2003

> When I use mii-tool to force it into 100baseTx-FD, it seems to stop
> working.  I know it supports 10/100, so not sure what's going on.
> Diving deeper.

I had this problem, too.  Two identical boxes with 8139's connected to
10/100 ports ... One negotiates to 100/FD, the other to 10/HD.  The
autonegotiation code for the 'broken' one was the same 0000 that you had,
the other had a real number there.  I eventually decided that there was a
flaw in the second chip and threw in a a spare 10/100 3com and everything
works there.  I think some of the 8139's have a bad memory sector or
whatever and can't remember the right settings, and 10/HD is the default
fallback or something

--attriel