[ale] 128Mb GeForce 4 at MicroCenter

Bruce Griffis griffisb at bellsouth.net
Mon May 19 08:33:54 EDT 2003

On Sunday 18 May 2003 10:55 pm, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> FYI: MicroCenter has a stack of plain packaged 128Mb GeForce 4 cards
> sitting on the front discount tables near the register.  They are tagged as
> '$129', but the real cost is $69 after a $30 mail-in rebate.
>
> -Jim P.

Anyone know if the GeForce cards are AGP1.0 or AGP2.0 compliant? I was
thinking of upgrading my ancient 266Mhz Gateway with a 766Mhz Celeron chip (I
know - still slow, still old) - but in reading up on it I found that there
were problems when using BOTH the Celeron 766Mhz chip on an Intel 440LX
motherboard and a GeForce video card, since at the time the article was
written, the NVidia chipset was AGP1.0 compliant. The article stated there
were no problems using a VooDoo card.

Not that I have any idea what that means - but I would hate to go for a Slot 1
CPU upgrade and heatsink only to have to replace a recently upgraded video
card.

Any other recommendations for upgrading an ancient beast at a reasonable cost?