Related Q, Re: [ale] Favorite Linux GUI for a laptop.

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Sun May 18 21:00:50 EDT 2003

Jonathan, all -

Thanks for the 'lightweight X' suggestions.

On Sun, 18 May 2003, Jonathan Rickman wrote:

> I run Slack 8.1 with XFCE on an older thinkpad with a 133MHz/24MB/2GB
> setup and it runs quite well. The majority of the time I don't start X.
> But on the occasion that I need a browser to set up a piece of equipment,
> I run Phoenix (Firebird) and it does ok. I wouldn't advise using a machine
> that slow for everyday use. The little thinkpad is a tool, nothing more.
> It's tiny, so it actually stays in the toolbox.

Yes - I mainly wanted to find out what Linux would be like on that scale
system. Naturally I was reasonably happy with machines of that scale and
simpler setups for ~RH-4.*.

 John Mills
 john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu

"Code grows to fill, [then exceed] the available computer."
 - (after) C.N.Parkinson