Related Q, Re: [ale] Favorite Linux GUI for a laptop.

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Sun May 18 18:19:42 EDT 2003

On Sun, 18 May 2003, John Mills wrote:

> I was gifted with a Toshiba 'Satellite Pro' 430CDS (~100 MHz PII) with a
> whopping 16 MBy of RAM and 1.6 GBy of hard disk space. As an experiment I
> installed an [updated] RH-6.2 which fits fine into about half the HDD.
> Console sessions run fine and I have a decent XFree86 screen.
> Unfortunately the GNOME desktop completely overwhelms the Sat's
> processor/RAM capacity.

I run Slack 8.1 with XFCE on an older thinkpad with a 133MHz/24MB/2GB
setup and it runs quite well. The majority of the time I don't start X.
But on the occasion that I need a browser to set up a piece of equipment,
I run Phoenix (Firebird) and it does ok. I wouldn't advise using a machine
that slow for everyday use. The little thinkpad is a tool, nothing more.
It's tiny, so it actually stays in the toolbox.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security