[ale] GIMP

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat May 17 09:29:43 EDT 2003

Marvin Dickens wrote:
>> He can select the background as previously noted and either change
>> it to the color of the website background or he can add an alpha
>> layer,
>

> I'd add the alpha layer if it were me and I were doing it the way you
>  describe Because Changing colors can result in jagged lines if the
> image even thinks about approaching complex. If he does it the way I
> describe doing it, I think he can flatten the image  Although, at the
> moment, I'm stuck on a Wintendo box and therefore, I do not have
> access to the GIMP up to verify the flatten thing... ) and save it as
> a jpeg or whatever (That is, if a flat image is ok in the
> application).

Yes, he can flatten the image, but if it's saved as a jpeg, the
transparency will be lost.  gif or png would be the options then.  I've
had very good success with converting image backgrounds, that are easily
defined, to match the color of a web page background.

As for the jagged edges issue, this will happen whether he changes the
color or uses transparency.  In both cases he must in some way select
the background of the banner with the same tools.  Whether that
selection is changed to another color or made transparent, it's the
selection tool that's defining the area, and therefore producing the
possibility of the jagged edges.

If he saved the original image as .xcf, then this is all moot as he
should have access to the background of the banner as a layer, and it
would be as simple as selecting that layer from the layers dialog and
then either changing the color to match his website background or simply
deleting it and saving the image as a gif or png.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...