[ale] slackware install in 1.4 gb

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Fri May 16 10:47:12 EDT 2003

> Is there anyway to automate a slack install?

Yes.

> I have a laptop that I'll
> need to reinstall a few times (don't ask...call it experimentation :)),
> but it seems I either have the option to install everything (which is
> greater than 1.4 gb, my harddrive size) or to wade through menu after
> menu...

Right. That's two of the normal ways of doing it. BTW there are no guarantees
on a full Slack install as packages may in fact conflict with one another.

> Is there anyway to either script an install (ala kickstart) or to make all
> menu selections *before* installing any packages?  The whole prompt for
> package group A, install A, prompt for package group B, install B, etc...
> means I have to sit if front of the machine for the whole install...

And it slows the install process down because you're not going to actually
sit in front of it.

Anyway the selection is the 'Custom tagfiles' option. A tagfile is a small
text file that indicates what to do with every package in a group. In each
package directory in the slackware packages directory is a program named
maketag. Run it and choose what to do with each package in the package group.
It writes the file out in an odd place /var/log/setup/tmp/SeTnewtag so you'll
have to rename it after each pass through each directory.

There are two ways to use tagfiles:

1) A tagfile with a custom extension can be placed in the package group
directory. For example on my custom Slack 8.1 image each package directory has
a file named tagfile.baj which is my personal set of tagfiles. By choosing
'Custom tagfiles' and inputting the .baj extension, it'll automagically install
the packages specified in the tagfile.baj file in each package group.

2) You can also specify what is called a tagfile path. You need this when
installing from the original CD which you cannot write custom tagfiles. Now
the format is a little different. Instead of putting an extension on the
tagfiles (which probably would have been a good idea) you must recreate the
package group directory structure (i.e. mkdir a ap d e ...) on a writable
device (probably a floppy) and then put the tagfile for each package group
in its corresponding directory with the name tagfile (with no extension).

What I end up doing is the following when I finally get around to upgrading
to a new Slack version:

- Sit down and create the tagfiles for each group. Always choose either ADD or
  SKIP. Otherwise you get prompted in the middle of the install.
- Bundle the tagfiles using the 2nd method outlined above and keep for
  safekeeping. This can always be pulled down off the Net and used for the
  oddball install.
- Then make a custom ISO image with .baj as in method 1 above. This is my
  carry around install disk.

With tagfiles, Slack installation from start to finish is about 15 minutes with
the average machine. It's really really quick.

Hope this helps,

BAJ