[ale] Ale Netiquette....

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Fri May 16 09:34:26 EDT 2003

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 10:20:56PM -0400, Thomas Holmquist wrote:
> I dont see anything wrong with replying to the top of the post...

A. Top posters.

Joe posted the link that contains this quote yesterday.  Here it is
again for reference: http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/quote.html

> And although it is nice to keep the message terse by trimming the
> unneeded parts, its is not a requirement.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but it used to be the general
consensus among usenet and email list users that you should trim
everything but the relevant parts of the message you are replying to.
It seems to be the introduction of windoze to the internet
that resulted in all the questionable behavior in online discussion
groups.  I find it highly ironic when ALE'ers bash MS with a one-liner,
while including the contents of the entire thread in their message.  Top
posted.

Do a google search on "netiquette"; you will get tons of results.  All
the netiquette guides I've seen suggest that you trim your replies.

As an aside, we've yet to hear from the ALE list maintainer(s) on this.
Chris?  Geoffrey?  Any official opinion on this?

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9