[ale] Is there anyone out there that fully understands the boot process ? If yes, please help...........

Courtney Thomas ccthomas at flash.net
Thu May 15 16:02:55 EDT 2003

Jeff,

Thanks for your attention.

A question: the "root", not boot, floppy is a compressed file system
that is mounted back and forth from the floppy as a loopback device. When I

dd bs=1k if=/dev/fd0 | gunzip > rescue

I get the message.........."gunzip: stdin: decompression OK, trailing
garbage ignored
1125+0 records in
1124+0 records out
Broken pipe"

Am I OK here.......... and is the system just telling me that the entire
floppy is not part of a compressed filesystem and that it only
uncompressed that part which is the compressed filesystem.........or what ?

BTW, I took your advice and copied [dd actually] the root filesystem to
an out of the box new floppy which I formatted and verified before
using, and tried booting with it.........same result. I didn't bother
with the boot floppy 'cause it seems OK.

Appreciatively,
Courtney