[ale] first "spammer" gets arrested?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu May 15 08:54:56 EDT 2003

Jonathan Rickman wrote:
> On Wed, 14 May 2003, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
>

>> Did a spammer send you too much email - or did you suffer identity
>> theft? In other words, what happened to you that was so bad - that
>> it makes you have such fantasies?
>

> Maybe he has kids. I created a new email alias for my son and within
> three days, the account was swamped with various flavors of porn
> spam. The account hadn't even been used to send or receive email yet.
> This was several years ago. The problem is MUCH worse now. These
> individuals just blast the stuff out there with little to no regard
> for the fact that the recipient might be a young child. I personally
> had no desire to have to explain why that strange man has boobies, or
> what exactly it is that the horny college girl wants to suck out of
> him. Those kind of discussions eventually have to take place, but it
> is up a child's parents to decide when...not some anonymous shithead
> out on the net.

Well put.  The problem is that they don't even target real email
addresses, often times they just use an existing domain and run through
a list of *@domain.com.  Back when I was with AT&T, I used to never get
spam.  Then suddenly the bottom fell out.  My email address was
gamyers at att.com.  I'd get a spam with a couple 100 email addresses in
the to field and they'd all be alphabetically ordered.  I quit using
real names for my personal email address a couple of ISP's ago.  It's
gotten to the point where you can't even use words.  You need something
like a password configured email address,

5Tg4?t at 3times25.net  (no, that's not one of my passwords. :) )

It's pathetic.  I don't even like all the spam post mail I get, but at
least those folks have to pay to get it to your house.  Just like all
the automated recorded telemarketers now.  I hate them, I think it
should be against the law.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...