[ale] moving CD-ROM from master to slave

Joseph Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Wed May 14 21:28:10 EDT 2003

Geoffrey <esoteric at 3times25.net> writes:

> Some bios have the option to auto detect the drives, you might check
> thos possibility.

But note that Linux won't use the BIOS data; it will do its own drive
detection. Only the boot drive must be visible to the BIOS, because
the bootloader must be able to read disk blocks before the kernel is
available. That's why you can use 100GB drives under Linux on crufty
old 486's (as long as you have a 1GB drive to boot from, too).

Robert, double-check that you've set the jumpers correctly.  If you're
very sure they are set correctly, you may have a pair of drives that
just don't like one another. Try switching the master/slave roles
(which implies hdc will become hdd and vice-versa); that sometimes
helps in my experience.

Cheers,

-- Joe

> Robert E. Karaffa, II wrote:
> > thanks for the replies.  both drives work, in that I can access them
> > in the normal manner.  the jumpers are set correctly, and I've found
> > nothing in any config files that would lead me to believe something
> > is wrong. I've not detected any errors, bad blocks, etc., that might
> > indicate bad hardware. I've read recently that a kernel upgrade is a
> > possible fix, and I'm due for a Mandrake update anyways, so I might
> > hedge my bets and see if that is a fix.

> The latest, most widespread virus?  Microsoft end user agreement.
> Think about it...

  "I'd rather chew my leg off than maintain Java code, which
   sucks, 'cause I have a lot of Java code to maintain and
   the leg surgery is starting to get expensive." - Me