[ale] OT: Manufacturing an idea....

Benjamin Scherrey scherrey at proteus-tech.com
Wed May 14 17:52:24 EDT 2003

Copyright and Patents are two completely different types of intellectual property.

	Yes - you automatically have the copyright of any new creation you make (unless it falls
within work-for-hire provisions in which case your hiring organization automatically has the
copyright). However, in order to actually sue you must first file for the copyright and, if you want to
be able to put some real muscle ($100,000 per instance + legal fees) behind your copyright
infringement, you must file the copyright PRIOR to the infringement. Filing a copyright is cheap (~
$35) and very easy although I filed my last one in August, they didn't cash the check until
December, and I still haven't received the actual notice to date so it's slow unless you pay for the
rush job ($500). The point is that I have proof of the filing, however, so if I ever need to litigate, I
have all the proof I need of filing that I need so long as my copyright is actually granted (so if it's
REAL important, pay the $500). That's copyright.

	Patents are a completely different bird and you must file your patent before ANY public
disclosure or you effectively lose all protections. The whole thing about mailing yourself an envelop
with designer notes has been eliminated as an option of proof of invention time - don't bother with it.
Proof of date of conception generally comes from a designers notebook which, yes, notorization is
one form of proof. Make sure anyone viewing or signing your notebook is under a non-disclosure
agreement so it does not count as a public disclosure. The BEST proof is filing of the patent itself or
a provisional patent but its always good to keep a detailed designer's notebook regardless,
especially if you ever have to litigate. It also increases the value of your IP in case you want to sell
or license it in the future. I'm working on a couple of these myself now. My patent attorney (who is
quite good) costs $350/hr. Needless to say, I will be doing most of the leg work myself and make
sure I have my ducks in a row before deciding to move too far along the process. Doing a patent is
a few orders of magnitude more complex and expensive than a copyright (even the rush job). Often
one chooses to pursue trade secret protection rather than patent protection as a result.

	Good luck,

		Ben Scherrey