[ale] OT: Manufacturing an idea....

Christopher Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Wed May 14 19:12:38 EDT 2003

John - Let me tell you first hand that it's a lot of work.  I would take
these steps if I were you:

1)   Familiarize yourself with patent/trademark/IP law.
The legal system is a convoluted system that can befuddle even the most
logical thinker (much of what I've learned is apparently
counterintuitive; but that's by design - not fault).  The point is this:
don't assume anything when it comes to legal issues.  A good friend of
mine is an IP attorney and he can probably help you out with some of
this stuff (you'll have to pay for filing fees, etc. if it's something
that you want to persue) [contact me off list for details].  Also, if
you're serious about it, look into the Nolo Press line of Patent books.
I have "Patent it yourself" and it's pretty insightful.  If you do try
to file a patent though, skip the books workbook pages.  From what I've
learned, filing a patent from those cookie-cutout sheets is very likely
to result in rejection.  If you don't have a prototype built, you can
file a provisional patent app for about $80 (filing fee), but you'll
need to create a prototype within a year.  There are loopholes and
exceptions with this, so ...
    while (not 100% comfortable with IP); do
       see item 1;
    done

2)   Protect your idea!
Get an NDA [and Non-Compete] and don't be afraid to use it with your
contractors/consultants/etc.  Most people don't have a problem signing
an NDA (if it's legit, simple, and not trying to steal their firstborn
children, etc).  I've learned the hard way (got burned pretty bad), and
I had been warned over an over.  I guess I was that kid that burned my
hand on the oven, even though Mom guaranteed me that I'd get burned.
You've probably heard horror stories, so definately take them
seriously.  Also, don't ask venture capitalists to sign an NDA; it's a
huge turn-off for them (and it will likely expedite your business plan's
route to the circular file).  If anyone has a big issue with an NDA or
NC; see item 1 above and take your ball and go home (or to another
consultant/vendor).

3)   Be resourceful
I've found a ton of information on the web (google specifically).  In
addition, you can find consultants etc. from sites like elance.com.  I
did most of my commercial web design myself, but I had some help with
graphics, etc.

4)   Mailing lists are your friend
I've found a ton of assistance from mailing lists - ALE (from my message
last night), and other relevant lists (electronics, etc).

5)   eBay can help you find parts, etc for decent prices (duh).
I was sweating distributors, vendors, etc; until I looked for a few
things on eBay.  I found bulk quantities of parts for great prices (2000
resistors for $4.99).  I highly recommend looking for things there.  Be
warned though, that eBay is an evolving market, and as such, you may not
be guaranteed to find the parts you need, and/or if you do, the prices
may change.  Factor this in (in a spreadsheet or something), so that
your .02 cents/resistor price can be flexible.

6)    Know your market.
Watch your competition, if you have any, and don't give out any
information that you don't need to.  I'm actually hesitant to post this
message just out of fear that my competition could be tuning in.  But, I
think that passing this info along is worth the risk; particularly if
someone finds it to be useful (and that person keeps me in mind when
they make it big).  :)

7)   Profit!
I haven't achieved this utopia yet, but I'm betting all my chips that I
might be able to make a buck or two.
;)

Best Regards,
CB