[ale] moving CD-ROM from master to slave

Robert E. Karaffa, II rkaraff at emory.edu
Wed May 14 13:11:36 EDT 2003

hi folks,
    I've been trying to find information about this and haven't come up with
anything that makes sense.  Here's what I've done:

-an old Gateway 200MHz Mandrake box.
-originally had two hard drives and one CD-ROM
-boot drive is 3Gb, master on IDE0
-storage drive is 6Gb, slave on IDE0
-CD-ROM is master on IDE1

I added an 80Gb IDE drive to give us added storage capacity, and to improve
performance (the initial Mandrake install I did was, well, not done as well
as it could have been, like, /var didn't have its own partition, nor did
/home, or /usr...geez...).

so I put the 80Gb drive as master on IDE1, moved the CD-ROM to slave, and
thought all was well.  Now, I'm seeing {Drive Not Ready}{Waiting for DMA}
messages for hdc in dmesg and, of course, at bootup.
    I've been trying to find out how the CD-ROM gets assigned its "hd"
designation, since I've effectively moved it from hdc to hdd...correct?  and
now, since hdc is a hard drive...well, fstab doesn't specify that the CD-ROM
was hdc, although now hdc is the new 80Gb drive which holds /var and /home,
and hdd should be the CD-ROM.

    Can anyone straighten me out?

-Bob K.
--