[ale] ext3 file undeletion

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Wed May 14 09:44:16 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 13 May 2003 01:17 pm, Pablo Donzis wrote:
> Hi Ale,
>
> I read your message posted about ext3 file undeletion ? Could you find
> out how to do that ? I'm in a big trouble.

As I recall the conversation, there is no easy way.  The best solution is
to have a good backup strategy implemented before you delete the file.  :)

Failing that, you should shut down the hardrive instantly and hope your
data isn't overwritten.  Now you need to go through your drive block by
block to find the data.  There are people (I assume, I don't know anyone
personally) who will help you with this for a fee.  It is not an easy task
for a non-expert, so be prepared to work very hard or pay some money.

If you really want to do this yourself, a google search on words like "hard
drive recovery" is probably a good place to start.

Michael