[ale] webpage access authentication in apache

James Sumners james at sumners.ath.cx
Mon May 12 17:26:33 EDT 2003

Also make sure you have 'AuthOverride' set to at least 'AuthConfig' for the top
level directory which you wish to protect.

On Mon, 12 May 2003 12:08:54 -0400 (EDT)
Jerry Yu <z.yu at voicecom.com> wrote:

> 	apache process (user/group=nobody/nobody, usually) needs to be
> able to transverse down /var/www/passwd and read your passwords file.
>
> On 12 May 2003, Christopher Russell wrote:
>
> #webpage access authentication in apache
> #
> #QUESTION:
> #How should I setup a protected directory for a webpage visitor, in
> #apache, (httpd-2.0.40-11.3)?
> #I read <http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/howto/auth.html> but perhaps
> #I'm missing something. The instructions clearly give a choice of
> #altering the .conf file, which is my choice, versus an .htaccess
> #solution. Have I done all that is required with the .conf file?
> #
> #WHAT I'VE DONE SO FAR:
> #The password (in its simplest form) gets created, and delivered to the
> #appropriate file. When attempting to access the directory on the webpage
> #the "Restricted Files" dialogue box appears, but it will not accept my
> #password. Advice to a newbie, please!
> #
> #The ONLY change I have made to /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf is below the
> #'section' that reads:
> #"# The following lines prevent .htaccess and .htpasswd files from being
> #viewed by Web clients."
> #My only change is:
> ## CR: May 11, 2003. My attempt at getting auth using directory access.
> #<Directory /var/www/html/unix>
> #AuthType Basic
> #AuthName "Restricted Files"
> #AuthUserFile /var/www/passwd/passwords
> #Require user chris
> #</Directory>
> ## CR: End of my insertion.
> #------
> #
> #Creating the passsword in the terminal window:
> #
> ## /usr/bin/htpasswd -c /var/www/passwd/passwords chris
> #New password:
> #Re-type new password:
> #Adding password for user chris
> ##
> #
> ## /etc/init.d/httpd restart
> #Stopping httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
> #Starting httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
> ##
> #------
> #
> #I sure would appreciate being told what did I do wrong!
> #
> #Thanks in advance,
> #Chris
> #
> #
> #
> #
>
> Jerry Yu				+1-404-487-8544 (O)
> systems engineer			jerry.yu at voicecom.com
> is support, voicecom, llc		www.voicecom.com

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological
personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the
corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a
condition to which they are quickly addicted.

Missionara Protectiva, Text QIV (decto)
CH:D 59