[linux_general] Re: [ale] LINUX ISOs in 5-10 mins...

Joseph Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Mon May 12 09:27:16 EDT 2003

Marvin Dickens <mpdickens at tlanta.com> writes:

> On Sat, 2003-05-10 at 16:53, Raju wrote:
> > Maybe it is unrelated, but I am using 2.4.18 which the "stable" RH 8.0
> > runs.:-)
>
> I still have 2.4.18 configured as a boot option in grub. I'm gonna boot
> 2.4.18 and try to compile it again. I'll let you know how it goes...

It really should not matter what kernel you're running when you
compile stuff. In particular, if you are getting compile errors or
dependency failures (during make dep or ./copnfigure), booting a
different kernel certainly won't help you. No matter what kernel you
compile under, the compiled sequence of bytes on disk will be the
same.

There is really only one case in which booting a different kernel will
help you compile something, and that's if your current kernel has a
problem that prevents the build tools from running correctly.  A very
rare, not to say totally unknown, circumstance. In particular,
upgrading a kernel without following the directions in the
linux-<version>/Documentation/Changes file can cause this kind of
trouble.

A compiled executable might, of course, need to *run* under a
particular kernel, because it was compiled against that kernel's
headers (ugh), or because that kernel provided some service that
the executable requires. But that's a different issue.

Cheers,

-- Joe