[ale] kernel upgrade necessary?

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Mon May 12 10:08:38 EDT 2003

I am running a 2.2 kernel on my old Compaq laptop.  Since it is slow and old will I see a benefit from a newer kernel?

Current specs:
        133mhz
        32mb ram
        Debian Woody 3.0
        Fluxbox

machine is used for email (mainly), but want to transfer the packages and config files to a updated/modern machine soon.  Ideally, I want my machines to have the same basic look and feel as far as maneuvering and programs.

(I am very interested in trying "apt-get install kernel" since my last kernel didn't compile cleanly on Mandrake)

Thanks,
Preston

--
"Try to look unimportant; they may be low on ammo."
(U.S. Army Infantry Journal)