[ale] going to apt-rpm

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon May 12 09:51:56 EDT 2003

On Friday 09 May 2003 09:18 pm, aaron wrote:
> A small caution from when I tried to install and start using apt-rpm on
> my RH 7.2 system.
>
> I decided to give apt-rpm a try when I was attempting to update my qt /
> kde related packages and running into serious dependency traps.  Several
> recommendations for this package install and update system have been on
> the list, so I figured I'd give it a shot.
>
> Regardless of the updating I did to be sure my rpm database was clean
> and current, it seemed the only way apt rpm would let me use it was if I
> first allowed it to remove EVERY add-on package that I had ever
> installed on the box by sidestepping minor dependencies with rpm -nodeps
> or -force flags.

You realize, of course, that this is a feature, not a bug.  :-)

apt-get cannot operate very well if there are rpms that don't have their
dependencies met, or have conflicting files.  Every time you use --nodeps
or --force you make it harder for the next rpm to install safely.  Apt-get
offers the nice ability to erase everything that conflicts which it did
for you.  After that, apt-get should have worked fine.  If all those
packages are available on apt repositories you should have been able to
get them back, quickly.

You do make the good point that bears repeating.  If you use apt, don't try
to also install packages by hand, expecially not if you are like me and
use --nodeps or --force frequently.

Apt-get is great if all the packages you want are in the repositories.
It's not so great if you start going outside the system, however.  I've
never been able to restrain myself and always end up with an unusable apt.

--Michael