[ale] NewbieQ on tunnelling SSH

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Mon May 12 09:31:13 EDT 2003

ALErs -

I want to set up a CVS repository on machine X behind my firewall, and use
it remotely through SSH. I don't know how to set this up, but expected
something like this:

 a) Forward some port of my choice from my firewall to another on my
    repository host in the LAN. (No problem - this is easy with my
    Linksys.)
 b) Configure CVS on that host to use SSH to that port as its access
    mechanism (I vaguely remember something about identifying "ext" as
    access mecanism in a CVS config file), and identifying it with the
    port to which my firewall will send the remote CVS requests. (I'm
    unsure on this, but might muddle through.)
 c) Configure or originate remote requests so they are wrapped in SSH and
    directed to the forwarded port. (Here I'm clueless, and some of the
    users will come from M$Win, probably with clients like 'WinCvs').

Anyone know of a HOWTO for this, or willing to offer suggestions?

TIA.

 John Mills
 john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu