[ale] usb scanner -- SUCCESS!!

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sun May 11 00:13:07 EDT 2003

Chris, I've had success in getting my scanner to work with RH8.0.  It
was a bit of work though.  Here's what I did:

1. I noted that RH identified the scanner but made the same wrong
entries in /etc/sane.d/hp.conf that SuSE had done for my scanner.  This
file now looks like this:

option connect-device
/dev/usbscanner

2. RH had placed the device entry, '/dev/scanner' in the above
referenced file.  There was no such device.  So as to mimic my SuSE
install, I created a /dev/usbscanner device as follows:

mknod /dev/usbscanner c 180 48

Once I did this, ls -l /dev/usbscanner yields:

crwxrwxrwx    1 root     root     180,  48 May 10 11:25 /dev/usbscanner

Now when I execute 'scanimage --list-devices I get a bunch of errors
apparently from scanimage scanning for the proper device followed by:

device 'hp:/dev/usbscanner' is a Hewlett-Packard MODELx flatbed scanner

That's good.  I then actually scanned a document successfully.

Give this approach a try Chris and see if it works for you.

I will say this, this is a black eye for Linux when it takes this much
work to get a scanner to work.  Both SuSE and RedHat improperly identify
and configure the scanner.  Fortunately for me, SuSE required no more
then modifying the sane.d config file.  RH reguired mknod, which
certainly is not a tool for the novice.

I would suspect that a novice user would not get either OS to properly
install the scanner.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...