[ale] print & permissions prob. in LPRing

Christopher Russell tiger_007 at adelphia.net
Fri May 9 11:50:50 EDT 2003

I'm a newbie trying to make LPRing work:
1. How do I correct garbage output from nw printer?
2. How do I give proper permissions to a single host across the network?
BACKGROUND:
I am attempting to install LPRing to network an HP-812C printer, between
two RH8 boxes, in my house, connected via a Linksys cable BEFSR41
internet router. NB: The printer works perfectly when attached directly
to either box and used as a local printer.

WHAT I HAVE DONE SO FAR:
I attached the printer to host called 'cedar,' the machine I now
dedicate to be print server. (IP 192.168.1.100), and edit the lpd.perms
file, as below, to allow print jobs from the other machine called
'fulham' at IP 192.168.1.104
-----
# allow root on server to control jobs
ACCEPT SERVICE=C SERVER REMOTEUSER=root
# allow anybody to get server, status, and printcap
ACCEPT SERVICE=C LPC=lpd,status,printcap
# ----------- My next line for host fulham
ACCEPT SERVICE=C REMOTEIP=192.168.1.104
# reject all others
REJECT SERVICE=C
#
# allow same user on originating host to remove a job
ACCEPT SERVICE=M SAMEHOST SAMEUSER
# allow root on server to remove a job
ACCEPT SERVICE=M SERVER REMOTEUSER=root
REJECT SERVICE=M
# allow local job submissions only
# REJECT SERVICE=X NOT SERVER ------ I commented out this line
# all other operations allowed
DEFAULT ACCEPT
------

Host 'fulham' is booted, and set the default to the newly appeared LPD
queue type, where it sees the HP printer at the print server cedar. The
driver, hpijs, and other options are all as previously set, including
convert text to postscript.

1. The Print Problem:
However, when I send it a small text file, it prints garbage. A few
lines at the top of as many as twenty sheets of paper, lots of strange
symbols many of which are upside down question marks. (However, the same
file prints perfectly when sent from the server as a local print job).

2. lprm Problem:  I should be able to cancel the print job from the
host, but it says that I don't have permission.

------
[root at fulham chris]# lprm chris
Printer hp-cedar at fulham:  ## Here it's looking at the old local
connection on fulham
Printer hp-cedar at cedar:   ## It's looking at the printer on the server
called cedar
  checking perms 'chris at fulham+259'
  no permissions 'chris at fulham+259'
  checking perms 'chris at fulham+564'
  no permissions 'chris at fulham+564'
------

Summary
Well this is a long e-mail, but I hope that I have included enough
detail that someone can see my error, probably in lpd.perms, and
somewhere else ?

Thanks in advance,
Chris