[ale] Shell Scripting for Compatiblity

aaron aaron at pd.org
Thu May 8 09:43:28 EDT 2003

I couple months back I demoed the Worker file manager for a central meeting
"Tip Jar" segment. I showed how the utility can easily be extended via a
little shell script I wrote for it which added batch file.ext and sequential
file renaming. Worker's author would now like to include my little script
contribution with his future releases, but I want to make sure the script is
as broadly Unix compatible as possible... the Worker interface is pure
xwindows so it will run on most any *nix variant.

Currently the program is working in bash, which is specified in the she-bang:
#!/bin/bash

I'm looking for recommendations on which (mostly compatible) Unix shells I
should also consider targeting and testing this with. It would also be
helpful to hear about any general compatibility syntax differences to watch
for (along the lines of a freqently misspelled words list).

Assistance appreciated!

peace
aaron