[ale] reducing NTFS partition

Transam bob at verysecurelinux.com
Wed May 7 09:06:19 EDT 2003

On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 05:47:23PM -0400, Dow Hurst wrote:
> I have successfully resized a NTFS partition using the new ntfsresize
> tool from the linux-ntfs project at sourceforge.  The XP defrag tool
> however will not move files from the end of the new partition.  I was
> lucky that XP hadn't put files at the end of the original partition!  Is
> there a way or tool to shift all files in a NTFS partition to the front
> end so you pick your partition size?  Thanks,

Yes, point your browser at the following and download the ZIP file.

     http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html

You then copy utility a file to a raw 3.5 inch floppy (cp *.zip /dev/fd0)
and boot the floppy.  The download is free; they do ask you to send
them $35.

I used it successfully to shrink down my Windows NTFS partition to make
way for Linux (Slackware 8.1).  It is GUI based and very easy to use.
While it did not specifically address the issues of files near the end
of the partition, I suspect that this would be handled.  It appeared to
be a high-quality program.

 After installing Linux and lilo, I did verify that I still can boot
Windows XP.

> Thanks,
> Mike

Bob Toxen,
Fly-By-Day Consulting, Inc.
"Your expert in Firewalls, Virus and Spam Filters, VPNs,
Network Monitoring, and Network Security consulting"
bob at verysecurelinux.com (e-mail)
http://www.verysecurelinux.com       [Network & Linux/Unix Security Consulting]