[ale] sytem hangs after init mounts filesystems..........

Courtney Thomas ccthomas at flash.net
Mon May 5 20:54:07 EDT 2003

Thanks Keith. Good to hear from you again.

I'm trying to create root & boot floppies [2]. My boot floppy is fine.
It pauses and requests the root floppy be inserted after loading all 3
needed scsi drivers. Init IIRC then replaces the initial ramdisk with
/dev/fd0 as /, then mounts everything, the last being /proc
and..............hangs.

I'd love to "manually step through the startup with some
debugging/verbose switches" !

How ?

Much appreciation,
Courtney

Keith Hopkins wrote:

> Courtney Thomas wrote:
>
>> Running 2.2.12-20, during bootup, after init mounts the last
>> designated filesystem, i.e. /proc, the boot process hangs. No
>> messages, nothing.......
>>
>> Any help on troubleshooting at this point will be gratefully accepted.
>

> Hey Courney,
>
>   Are you trying to boot into a graphics mode?  fb or X11.  disable it
> by default.
>
>   Boot to single user mode (boot: linux single), and manually step
> through the startup (run each script by hand with some debugging/verbose
> switches).

dated 12/21/02,

".....we have a president purchased by corporations in a sham election
who has put those corporations in charge of their own regulation. A
string of corporate scandals has exposed the myth of shareholder
control....."

Mark Spohr	Tahoe City, Ca. [1/18/03]