[ale] laptop with dual monitor

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon May 5 11:02:44 EDT 2003

On Monday 05 May 2003 09:44 am, Geoffrey wrote:

> >     Michael> Lots of laptops can support dual monitors, now.  In
> >     Michael> windows, if you plug a monitor into the back you can get
> >     Michael> two displays--one on the LCD and a different one on the
> >     Michael> monitor.  Windows can be dragged from one display to the
> >     Michael> other.
> >
> > ATI Mobility chipsets can do this under Wintendo, but they can't (and
> > from what I've been able to find out the last time I went looking
> > won't for the conceivable future) do it under XFree86.  I know because
> > I've got a Vaio with a Mobility M that I'd really like to use dual
> > headed (because I've gotten spoiled with my two headed GeForce 4400 at
> > home).
>
> Have you checked out the gatos drivers?  I don't know which mobility
> card you have, but here's a list from the gatos page:

My experience with gatos (several years ago) was that they were mostly
interested in supporting TV in and out.  Looking at the snippet below
makes me thing that that is this the focus.

For instance, the line "* Rage Mobility-P (Mach64): XvImage" makes me think
that they can support the XvImage extension to X, an extension that I
believe is used for  TV output primarily.  I see nothing there about
Xinerama which would be a major advance and I'd expect them to crow about
it.

Of course, I could be wrong and hope I am.  Maybe Fletch can tell us so,
soon.

Michael