[ale] Faking out Windows CD checks?

Dylan Northrup docx at io.com
Sun May 4 08:51:03 EDT 2003

Robert L. Harris wrote:

>  Has anyone found a good work around for a scenario like this where the
>physical CD's are required?  Yeah, this could possibly provide a pain
>as this is what the copy protection is supposed to prevent but I'm tired
>of paying $20/$30 to replace CD's because they're so easy to scratch and
>thus ruin.

I saw a review of some software on The Screen Savers a week or two ago
called Alcohol 120%.  It supposedly makes good copies of copy protected
games.  It also has the ability to make an image of a CD that you can
then mount as a virtual CD-ROM.  Aside f rom reducing the potential of
damaging your CDs, it apparently makes load times much faster since
they're from local disk instead of from slower CD-ROM.  It's $50, but
there's a trial version you can download and use for 30 days to see how
it works for you.

http://www.alcohol-software.com/

The software is Windows only.  Hope this helps.

--
Dylan Northrup <*> docx at io.com <*> http://www.io.com/~docx/
"Harder to work, harder to strive, hard to be glad to be alive, but it's