[ale] OT: wireless networks hazardous to health?

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Sat May 3 19:39:44 EDT 2003

On Saturday 03 May 2003 11:14 pm, John Wells wrote:
> I recall reading in an Ale thread a LONG time ago that there were
> potential health hazards regarding wireless networks.  I assume this is
> similar to cell phone radiation, etc., but I can't find the post in the
> archives and I'm not having any luck googling useful information.
>
> I'm considering purchasing a WAP and a wireless nic soon, but would like
> to find more info on whether there really is a risk to my family's health
> or not.  I have a baby daughter arriving in a number of weeks, and don't
> want to take *any* chances.
>
> Can anyone speak on this issue?

I can't speak very much to the technical side. But there are radio waves
around us all of the time and I doubt wi-fi raises the level very much. I
smile as I remember the weeks before my daughter's birth and all of the
anxiety over the chances that something could go wrong. Parenthood is not for
sissies. But chances are your daughter is going to be fine. You're a smart
guy. You'll probably make a good father. Relax and enjoy it all. Once they
get here, it all flies by very fast. I'm sure having a child around will
bring you a few heart attack moments, but it goes with the territory.
Congratulations.

And as I always tell prospective parents: No matter how many books you read,
it isn't going to be enough to prepare you. Expect the unexpected.